Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 19, 2011

6 Weeks Post Op, Baby!

It has been 6 weeks since the surgery, plus or minus two weeks, (sorry for no updates sooner) and all is well. Physically, that is.  No pain, no weird stuff, just getting better and better.  I feel pretty much the same as I did before the surgery, except  better, and I cannot really explain that except that I think my new job is easier on the soul, which has nothing to do with the surgery. 

Albert has had a little post-op depression.  There is lots of information out there that "they" really do not know why some people feel depressed after a transplant, sometimes donors, sometimes recipients, and I think the transplant drugs are probably part of the problem, in the recipient case. In Albert's case, The Whole Big Change is a difficult adjustment. 

 Intellectually, he totally gets it.  As in he gets that his Job Used to Be to go to Dialysis and Now He Does Not Have a Job.  He was great at making it to dialysis, and he always thought, if he kept going to dialysis, and do a Great Job Showing Up, He would Get a Kidney!  Now that he has a kidney, he has to change his focus.  Now it is about what he can do and not so much about what he cannot do. 

  He also mentions how the whole transplant is not just fun and games, as in he has to eat a lot more, pee a lot more and drink a lot more.  Tongue in cheek aside, it is a huge lifestyle change and it is kind of depressing for him right now.  For instance, every time we talk it's all about how he is Not Really Disabled Anymore, but he is still on disability. (I assure him he is Totally In His Rights to Be Getting Disability.)  And how he wants to do all this stuff he could not do before (like go somewhere overnight, such as camping or hunting--he calls hunting "Knocking Down an Elk" which I love) and he does not really have anyone to do it with. Yet.  So though he is a little sad and disappointed, he is clear that eventually people will realize he can do a lot of things he could not do before and his life will become busier.

He said to me the other day "In a way, I kind of miss being able to do nothing but watch TV, do Word Finds and not feel like I was missing out on anything."  Hey, do the Word Finds, watch TV and be glad that you can do more, if you wanted to, but right now, you are just taking it easy.  It is okay to take some time to adjust.  It is okay to call friends and family and tell them what you want.  Not everyone is a Mind Reader.  Sometimes we have to tell people what is going on.

As for me, I have been in a Big Fat Hurry My Entire Life, so I was so ready to go back to work and to get back to normal.  Though I have taken it a lot easier, for me, in the last 8 weeks, and I am enjoying it. 

I have not felt depressed about the donation, though I know it is normal for donors to feel depressed or anxious. I am grateful for skipping that depressed and or anxious step in the process.

 My body adjusted right away to one kidney.  I have been taking lots of good vitamins, eating right, (sort of--I love nachos) and trying to rest.

There are lots of bigger things going on in my family and in my life, as well as in the whole big world!  Good Lord!  My brother lives in Japan, for instance! 

The other day, a wonderful lady that I just love, though she is completely nuts and has feet of clay, like we all do, came to visit me at my office, right when I was hanging up with Albert, and I told her how he was a wee bit depressed and she said: "If I were him, I would be so grateful and so happy, that I would never, ever complain."  (This is the woman that wants a man in her life more than anything and keeps meeting great guys that have little flaws, like being a bad skier, or in one case, the man was guilty of not wearing"cute" shoes.) Please. She knows better than anyone that change is scary!

Complaining is a good thing.  I like complaining and complainers a lot, as long as they are honest about it.  The honesty is the beauty of complaining, because you are saying, in effect, "I trust you enough to tell you the "bad" stuff."  As long as we are honest, "authentic" and willing to change, there is nothing wrong with saying "This sucks".  No one gets anywhere without doing that first step.

  Sometimes you have to pull all the crap out of the closet, make a mess, bag it up, put back the good stuff, to go on and find the "cute" shoes you forgot about.  Sometimes we have a hard time letting go of that polyester pant suit, but we will not miss it, once it is gone.

  We have a right to pull it all out and sort it out with our friends and family.  Not everyone can do it, but the people that can stroll thru the caca, can really help out.  Try to be able to do both, straighten your own malarkey out and walk alongside your friends that are doing it. Can you get some big shit kickers for that duty? 

 Do not let anyone get bogged down, even if they like wallowing, and hold everyone accountable to making a positive result.  Remind yourself when you are chest deep in the unholy stuff: "When I get through this mess, I will know how to help someone else get through this mess."

Albert already gets this.  He says that if he can work again, he wants to be a counselor.  You go, Al!

My eleven year old daughter's version of Numbers 6:24-26:

The Lord loves you and keeps you.  He lets his face shine on you, now and forever, AMEN!!! (Say AMEN!  akin to how you might say BLAST OFF!)


"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let His face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord look kindly upon you and give you peace."


Peace to you, good friends.  Love and keep each other.

2 comments:

  1. All the best to you both. Post transplant I focused on walking, and eating (I loved fruit, and ate allot. Too much really) But I was able to go back to work in six weeks -- not really but my staff let me believe I was working. Now 18 months later I am productive but a very changed schedule. As for the "disabled" label, I will confess a little naughty pleasure in using my blue pass to get choice parking from time to time. I will also definately accept the tax deductions.

    I was, obviously, the recipient. My sister the donor recovered quickly and even participated in the "legendary" 126 km Death Race eleven months post surgery.

    I only offer the suggestions that you both remain positive, live fully the experience, and ask for/take help when you need it.

    Safe Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so much out of all of your posts. This one especially hit home for me on many different levels. Left me in tears..... I'm so thankful you are healing well, and feeling good. You and Albert are both so incredible. My prayers continue for Albert as he is walking through these difficult and life changing days. I pray God will give him the peace of mind that he is so deserving of. Luv ya girl xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete